Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pheasant season is here!!!





Now this is what i live to hunt... The Chinese Ringnecked Pheasant...  Best bird of all time, period.  I have to admit I was a little worried about the bird numbers this year.  All I've heard are dismal reports since opening day (which i missed due to a wedding).  I struck out on a solo mission Tuesday morning at 6.00 am.  I decided, because of all the dismal reports, to the get a little backup in addition to Davis.  I figured having another dog to help Davis and I would be a good idea so we brought Joe's dog Rocky.  Since I was by myself i decided to head to some old trustie spots near Steele ND.  The first hour of the day was spent driving around looking for birds near the road.  This only produced one bird sighting...  I have to admit I was a little nervous after only seeing one pheasant.  My first walk were 2 small sloughs near a cornfield that had produced in years past.  As soon as I stepped in the slough i heard roosters cackling.  Soon after Rocky made a nice point - rooster jumped - and I bagged my first pheasant of the year.  great feeling...  From that point forward i was able to get my limit in about 4 hours.  It wasn't easy but it was doable.  I am definitely happy with the amount of birds I saw and am excited for a great season.

tired dogs on a hot day
 davis acting like a goof when im trying to take a picture
 davis about to pass out
 pheasant fajitas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment